Apply for housing

Do I qualify for social housing?

Anyone over 16 years old (certain conditions apply when allocating a tenancy to an applicant under the age of 18) and in need of housing can apply for council housing.

Some people might not qualify or be eligible to join the Housing Register.

These include:

  • certain people who are subject to immigration control
  • people with a history of unacceptable behaviour
  • people who owe debt to the council or to a registered provider
  • people who have not complied with a previous tenancy agreement
  • people who have a household income of more than £30,000 to £50,000 a year (dependent upon household size)
  • people who own their own home

For more information on eligibility, please refer to our Housing Allocations Scheme (PDF 1.2MB) .

New band from April 2018

Please be aware that from April 2018, there will be changes to the allocation scheme. This includes the introduction of band 3.

Download our band 3 factsheet (PDF 525.6KB) to find out how this affects you.

If you think you qualify for band 3, please enquire today.

Enquire about band 3 social housing >>

Back to the top