Register to vote in elections

Annual canvass - August to November 2018

You need to be registered to be able to vote in any election or referendum for which you are eligible.

Central Bedfordshire Council are required by law to run an annual canvass to ensure the electoral register is up to date.

From 3 August 2018, a household enquiry form (HEF) will be delivered to every property in Central Bedfordshire. If anyone is already registered at the address, they will be listed on the form.

If the details are correct, please confirm them by either:

  • phoning the number on the form
  • texting NOCHANGE, followed by part 1 and part 2 of your security code on the form
  • or signing the form and sending it back

If the details are incorrect, please use the web address (link opens in new window) and your security code on the form to make any changes online. Alternatively, you can amend the form by crossing out those no longer living at the address and adding the names of all those eligible – including 16 and 17 year olds (do not include anyone under 16). Students can register at their term time address and home address.

Please remember that you must respond, whether there is a change or not.

Canvass period - 3 August to 28 October 2018

During the canvass period, we will:

  • deliver a form to all properties in Central Bedfordshire
  • deliver a reminder to properties who do not respond – this is usually in the evenings or at weekend to ensure that we can reach as many residents as possible.
  • send canvassers to properties to encourage residents to complete the forms - all canvassers will be wearing a Central Bedfordshire Council identity badge
  • encourage people who have never registered or recently moved to register to vote at their current address
  • publish register on 1 December 2018

If you are adding your name to the HEF that is only step one. You now need to register. You can do this online at (link opens in new window) or alternatively we will send you a form (ITR – Invitation to Register) when we have received your HEF information . Until this has been processed you will not be registered and able to vote.

Please note – you must register each time you move. Paying council tax does not mean you are automatically added to the Register of Electors.

If your name is already correctly listed on the HEF you do not need to register again.

Concerns about a canvasser

If you are concerned about a canvasser, please email or call 0300 300 8008 stating the area you live.

What happens next?

After you have responded, anyone not previously listed on the form must register. The quickest way to do this is on the GOV.UK - register to vote (link opens in new window) website, or we will send an Invitation to Register form as soon as we become aware of a potential new elector. You are required to complete and return this form by law.

Each time you change address you need to re-register. The easiest and quickest way to do this is online via the GOV.UK website (link opens in new window). You can do this at any time.

Paying council tax does not automatically mean you are registered to vote.

Any questions?

Download our questions and answers (PDF 150.6KB) .

Back to the top